Multidisciplinary Center (MDC)
The Oncology Multidisciplinary Center (MDC) is a partnership between Greenville Hospital System and Cancer Centers of the Carolinas. The MDC offers a multidisciplinary approach for the effective management of cancer. It arranges for a patient to see the medical, radiation and surgical oncologists (and referring physician, if he or she wishes to be included) in one visit. All physicians see the patient individually and then confer together as a team to discuss treatment options and possible opportunities for involvement in clinical trials.
The physician who will provide the recommended treatment discusses the choice with the patient. The cancer nurse coordinator may clarify what the treatment will involve. Before the patient leaves the office, he or she knows what to expect and is ready to follow the plan of action.
The MDC provides comprehensive cancer consultation:
- All oncology specialists are in attendance at one patient visit as opposed to several physician visits in different locations over the course of several weeks.
- Site-specific cancers and cancers that have metastasized, or spread, are managed more effectively and more efficiently using this approach.
- Surgery is performed by specialized surgeons; if the patient's physician recommends a surgeon, we will contact him for possible participation.
- Decision on treatment may also include a referral to the Clinical Research Unit for participation in open clinical trials, which gives access to research therapies.
- Radiologists and pathologists are an integral part of the team and will be consulted as appropriate.
The MDC sees patients with the following types of cancers:
- Melanoma/sarcoma Prostate, kidney or bladder
- Cancers that have metastasized, or spread, from their original site
The MDC also welcomes patients seeking second opinions and ensures a timely completion of the process. The MDC has a dedicated oncology nurse coordinator with experience in inpatient oncology care, critical care and oncology clinical management.
For more information on the MDC, please contact your physician or call 864-455-4968.