Our Mid-Level Providers
A mid-level provider, sometimes referred to simply as a "mid-level", is a clinical medical professional who provides patient care under the supervision of a physician. Mid-levels include nurse practitioners (NP), physician assistants (PA), and CRNAs. Mid-level providers can examine patients, diagnose them, and provide some treatments, all of which must be signed off by a supervising licensed physician.
The majority of our mid-level providers are Nurse Practitioners. A Nurse Practitioner (NP) is a registered nurse (RN) who has completed advanced education and training in the diagnosis and management of common medical conditions, including chronic illnesses. Nurse Practitioners provide a broad range of health care services. They provide some of the same care provided by physicians and maintain close working relationships with physicians. An NP can serve as a patient’s regular health care provider.
Nurse practitioners see patients of all ages. The core philosophy of the field is individualized care. Nurse practitioners focus on patients' conditions as well as the effects of illness on the lives of the patients and their families. NPs make prevention, wellness, and patient education priorities. This can mean fewer prescriptions and less expensive treatments. Informing patients about their health care and encouraging them to participate in decisions are central to the care provided by NPs. In addition to health care services, NPs conduct research and are often active in patient advocacy activities.
The Nurse Practitioners at CCC may perform the following:
- Collaborate with physicians and other health professionals as needed, including providing referrals
- Counsel and educate patients on health behaviors, self-care skills, and treatment options
- Diagnose and treat acute illnesses, infections, and injuries
- Diagnosis, treat, and monitor chronic diseases (e.g., diabetes, high blood pressure)
- Obtain medical histories and conduct physical examinations
- Order, perform, and interpret diagnostic studies (e.g., lab tests, x-rays, EKGs)
- Prescribe medications
- Prescribe physical therapy and other rehabilitation treatments
All of the NPs at CCC have extensive experience in oncology from stem cell transplants to clinical research. They all are certified as oncology nurses.